Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What's Wrong with Living Single???

Stephanie Miller
The Matron Saint of Single Grrrls Everywhere


Hey there Stephanie,
With all the commotion about Barbara Boxer's comment to childless Condi Rice (that was completely misrepresented by the right wingers) and the here-to-fore ignored comments by Laura Bush that were very inflamatory toward single women in particular, I thought that the following article might shed some light on the shifting demographics in this country, regarding single living. As a single (never-been-married) woman in my forties, I must agree with the women who find their singleness liberating. I had an opportunity recently to join a partner in a living situation, but turned it down, because I enjoy my life and my freedom too much. My doggies and I are just fine, thank you very large...

“For better or worse, women are less dependent on men or the institution of marriage. Younger women understand this better, and are preparing to live longer parts of their lives alone or with nonmarried partners. For many older boomer and senior women, the institution of marriage did not hold the promise they might have hoped for, growing up in an ‘Ozzie and Harriet’ era.”
Dr. William H. Frey, a demographer with the Brookings Institution, a research group in Washington.

“This is yet another of the inexorable signs that there is no going back to a world where we can assume that marriage is the main institution that organizes people’s lives.”
Professor Stephanie Coontz, director of public education for the Council on Contemporary Families, a nonprofit research group.

“Although we can help people ‘do’ marriage better, it is simply delusional to construct social policy or make personal life decisions on the basis that you can count on people spending most of their adult lives in marriage,”
Professor Stephanie Coontz, the author of “Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage.”

“Considering all the weddings I attended in the ’80s that have ended so very, very badly, I consider myself straight up lucky. I have not sworn off marriage, but if I do wed, it will be to have a companion with whom I can travel and play parlor games in my old age.”
Sheila Jamison, lives in the East Village, works for a media company, is 45 and single.
January 16, 2007
51% of Women Are Now Living Without Spouse
By SAM ROBERTS

For what experts say is probably the first time, more American women are living without a husband than with one, according to a New York Times analysis of census results.

In 2005, 51 percent of women said they were living without a spouse, up from 35 percent in 1950 and 49 percent in 2000.

No comments: