Sunday, February 11, 2007

Oh Man, Obama!

Hey there Stephanie,
Here's the transcript of the speech that first put Barack Obama on my radar screen (his keynote at the 2004 Democratic National Convention). He took my breath away, and I remember thinking to myself, "We're looking at the first African-American president of the United States." I'm almost as fickle as you are - last weekend I was blogging about John Edwards and this weekend it's all Obama, all the time. I'm sending you some quotes from yesterday's announcement, but thought you might appreciate being able to go back and read the words that got the whole thing started...

"It's time to admit that no amount of American lives can resolve the political disagreement that lies at the heart of someone else's civil war. That's why I have a plan that will bring our combat troops home by March of 2008. Letting the Iraqis know that we will not be there forever is our last, best hope to pressure the Sunni and Shia to come to the table and find peace. "
Senator Barack Obama (D - IL)

"I recognize there is a certain presumptuousness - a certain audacity - to this announcement. I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington. But I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change."
Senator Barack Obama (D - IL)

Here's Obama's 2008 Campaign Site.

Frank Rich's Column, NYTimes, Feb. 11, 2007, Stop Him Before He Gets More Experience

No comments: