Thursday, November 15, 2007

Congratulations, Sherman!!!

Good Morning Folks,

I realize that of late this blog has devolved into a cheering block for people I admire, but it is afterall my blog, and it is afterall a fan-based blog - perhaps I just want to demonstrate to readers that I am not singularly obsessed with Stephanie Miller, so I make no apologies, just an observation. This is another post in the hero-worship vein. This post sings the praises of and offers congratulations to one of my all-time favorite writers, Mr. Sherman Alexie, who last night won a National Book Award for his most recent novel, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

Alexie received the news last night at the awards ceremony in New York. He won for best book in the young people's literature category. In his acceptance speech, Alexie, an author of 19 books of fiction, poetry and essays, quipped, "Wow ... I obviously should have been writing YA [young adult] all along."

Well, Sherman, I beg to differ as many of my favorite stories and longer pieces of fiction that you penned are not for teenage eyes or sensibilities. Aside from the prize-winning book already mentioned, Mr. Alexie is the author of The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven, Reservation Blues, Ten Little Indians and The Toughest Indian in the World. In addition to being a smart, witty writer, Mr. Alexie is also a marvelous poet, and an even better speaker.

Here's a link to a review of Alexie's prize-winning novel and an interview published in the Seattle Times.

If you would like to read more about Sherman Alexie, check out his web site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Sherman!! Perhaps the City/County Library can give him an award so that he can come here to speak. You could have him sign ALL his books for you. -- Mel