Saturday, December 15, 2007

Power for the People

Shame on those folks who had the audacity to show-off their holiday lights while others still had NO power.

As I was driving back last night from our library staff holiday party, I had already dismissed thoughts of arriving home to lights, heat, in short power, although there had been a few reports from co-workers that their power had been restored. I wasn't optimistic, mostly because of the extent of the damage in my working class neighborhood and the fact that it is indeed a working class neighborhood where the original home owners are all dying or moving into assisted living facilities, and there are many "for sale" signs up and even more troubling many "for rent" signs popping up in several front yards. Those of us who own our homes in this 'hood are just glad when new residents don't set up a meth lab in their newly occupied house. Still there were encouraging signs as I turned off the main drag into my neighborhood, a line of electric company trucks (from Georgia!) were heading out, and I thought I saw a few glimmering lights along the streets. Could it be? Had PSO, with the help of electric companies from across the country, been able to get our power back on a full four days before the earlier prediction of power restoration? Well, I wouldn't call it a miracle (mostly because I am too much of a skeptic to believe in divine intervention), but still it was a welcome sight to be able to pull into my driveway and open my garage door with the garage door opener. I have POWER BACK in my house, and I am not even complaining that my cable is still out.

I stowed my arctic-rated sleeping bag back in the closet, and fired up my lap top and spent a warm and well-lit evening in my own home. Don't worry dear readers, I am not about to subject you to a sappy rendition of how strong our pioneer ancestors must have been to live every night without the comforts that we take for granted, or worse yet regale you with a plucky tale about how we all came together in a time of need and made the best of it, but I will say that it was a trying week, and I am glad to be able to be in my home without shivering or straining my eyes to see which bills arrived that day. And through it all I am thankful for my sleeping bag, my boyz (Tulsey & Dylan), a handful of candles, a sturdy flashlight, and some AAA batteries that allowed me to listen to NPR in the mornings and Steph in the evenings. I also must give thanks to all of the folks who, although they do not realize it, helped me get through this rough week by sacrificing a bottle or two of wine that I bought to give as holiday gifts but ended up drinking myself - viva Il Bastardo!

Today I am attending a Wellbriety PowWow that is hosted by my friend's family in Pryor, OK. It should be a happy event - my friend has had power since Thursday and never lost heat as the house where she lives relies on propane for warmth. I'm sure by tomorrow I will be back to my usual commentary on the state of the nation and the world, but please excuse this brief excursion into daily life here in Tulsa - it may not be what you are all used to, and believe me it wasn't what we were used to either.

No comments: