Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Barack Obama Visits Crow Agency, MT

Coming off a rally that drew 75,000 people in Portland, Oregon on Sunday, yesterday Barack Obama did something that Hillary Clinton and John McCain have not done, he went to a reservation, specifically the Crow Nation (Crow Agency, Montana). While he was there he talked about his understanding of Tribal Sovereignty (a true government to government relationship). He also talked about honoring treaty obligations, specific legislation that he supports that will address ongoing issues in Indian Country - issues such as health care, education, veterans' benefits and ways to resolve the trust fund litigation. "My job as president is to make sure that Washington starts focusing on you, on your hopes, on your dreams, on your concerns...You have been forgotten - I want you to know that I will never forget you - you will be on my mind every day that I am in the White House."

No comments: